Saturday, January 24, 2009

When (or if) I'm 94

About two years ago, I became reacquainted with my grandma on my father's side. I hadn't seen her since I was five-years-old.

Now she's 94 -- in a nursing home, and I see her every week.

There are many things that surprise me about her.  One of them is that she's liberal politically. She has told me on several occasions how proud she is that she has lived to see an African American become president.

Also-- good news men--some 94-year-old women like my grandma still have a yen for men.

And she sings "the oldies but goodies", like "Just Because" and WWII songs.

Whenever I go see her I can't help but ponder the notion of ending up in a place like her nursing home, sooner than later.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if I end up in a bed right beside her.   I think she'll outlive me. I'm certain I won't live to my 94th birthday.  I'm hoping to make my 64th.


No comments: