Sunday, January 11, 2009

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Those are the words of Adam Savage, one of TV's Mythbusters. And how true they are.  Reality is an abstract concept. One's reality is seen through the prism of one's own experiences and biases.

Politicians and newspeople are good at this, but so are us peons.

Example:  I'm concerned about a friend who just had her third brain surgery. After all, three brain surgeries  can take a toll on a body. So I express my concerns to my husband.

Bless his heart, he has the ability to see a glass as completely full, even when there's no glass. Me--the glass is not only half empty, its contents are spilled on the floor.

He says something to the effect of "Everything will be alright" in regard to my friend,  almost as if just saying that will make it so.

It must be nice to have that power.

No comments: