Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mein Fuhrer, I can hear!

Eden Strangelove here. I got my hearing aids today--one for each ear.  Yes, they do come in purple, but I'm older and wiser and don't have a crush on Donny Osmond anymore, so mine are "cinnamon", in theory to match the color of my hair. 

They will take some getting used to. Case and point:  I was practicing my guitar and I think the amplifier in one of the hearing aids clipped.  Very annoying, and they feel like headphones. On the positive side, my own voice is in surround sound now, and they are pretty subtle.

Being the Queen of Irony (and common sense), the first thing I ask the audiologist is, "So, what should I do when I want to play my iPod?"

She said, "Well,  you can take them off for that."

I'm due to go back to see the audiologist in a couple of weeks for tweaking.

Oh, and one other thing--they make my ears itch like crazy.

So far on a scale of 1-to-10, I'll give this piece of--er--expensive medical equipment a 6 from the Portland, Oregon judge.

Here's to a perfect 10.

No comments: