Thursday, August 21, 2008

I'll sue!

We had to discipline our son last night.  We had told him we wanted him to pick up his many things that he'd strewn about the house--said that if he didn't, we'd help--by putting things in garbage bags. Our plan was not to throw them away but keep them until he can "earn" them back.

Today he wants some of the things in the garbage bags. I said "no", and  that if he wants them, maybe he should treat them with more respect.  This is when he starts his protest:

"Dad shouldn't have made me pick them up.  He didn't give me a chance to pick them up!"
"I can sue you and dad for stealing my property!"
"I can sue the government for not giving kids enough rights!"
 I told him--"Well, good luck with that."

It's hard out there for a boy, but it's also hard out there for a parent.

No comments: