Monday, July 18, 2011

the weekend


Friday: our family went to see the second installment of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Some Potter fans are upset that the kids aren't kids anymore, and that the movies have gotten increasingly darker. I loved the last film because the nerds are rewarded. Ron gets the girl and Neville summons the sword of Griffindor, and kills the final horcrux. That said I think one needs to have read the to understand the movies. Certain scenes get less treatment in the movies than in the books. For example, the relationship between Snape and Harry's mom is glossed over in the movie.

Saturday: I went to the wedding of my friend Sandy's son, Cory. I met her in elementary school, and have kept in contact with her, despite her moving several times. The bride and groom had looks of both excitement and horror on their faces. Understandable. I think most people get married with the best of intentions, but it is work, because people can change, circumstances can change. Specifically, your spouse can't stay the cute twenty-something. Your spouse may get sick or lose a job. Your spouse may not be able to produce for you that son you always wanted to play ball with..Then what?

I enjoyed going to the wedding, because it gave me a chance to see Sandy and our friend Carrie. Back in the day we were partners in crime. I recalled the time that I was left home alone when my folks went out. I was a teenager. Sandy and Carrie came by with two young men I had never seen before. Still I invited everyone in. The folks came back to find me chatting with Carrie and Sandy, and the dudes. My dad was so angry he couldn't speak, and my mom was left to read us all the Riot Act. At the time, I didn't see the problem. These guys weren't my guys. After my mom's speech, I got it. a picture from a slumber party that included Sandy and Carrie.

Bold
Carrie has the red hair, I have the glasses, and Sandy is sitting on the other side of me. They are very cool people, and I don't think I would have survived Junior High and High School without them.

Sunday: We had my friend and classmate Travis and his wife Heather over for dinner. It turns out Travis has similar musical taste to my husband, Bruce. The the evening included a dinner of grilled chicken and veggies, corn on the cob and a delicious lemon pie prepared by Heather.

No comments: