Saturday, July 23, 2011

Another rock star for Jesus.

Troubled singer Amy Winehouse was found dead today at the age of 27. What is it about the age of 27 and rock stars?( see Curt Cobain, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin). Anyway, like so many before her, she most likely died of an overdose. Did she have talent? Talent is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. Personally, I found her signature tune "Rehab" catchy, but in light of her death, it plays like an epitaph, not an R&B inspired pop tune. In the CD from which it came, there are other songs about demons, be they bad relationships, boredom, or depression.

I always felt guilty about liking any song of hers, because I felt I was somehow tacitly endorsing her behavior. I don't.

Amy Winehouse. Now you truly are "Back to Black". I will play your music when I need a cautionary tale.

No comments: