Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Good Weekend

Updating the previous post--I haven't been out for a walk since I blogged about the trash.  I worked on Friday, and today brought true-to-form, bona-fide Oregon rain. However, I noticed as I was driving by my walk route that there was a group cleaning up the trash today, perhaps boy scouts, or middle school students 

After work yesterday (I volunteer at a local hospital), I met up with a former classmate for a beer or two--two to be exact. I reconnected with her through Facebook.  As I've mentioned before,  Facebook has been an interesting experiment. I feel like I can be myself in a way that I couldn't back in the day.

Today first thing, we witnessed our son "level up" in Taekwondo. He is now a brown-stripe belt, well on the way to a black belt.

The belt test is tough. The students (most of them kids) have to spend about two hours, demonstrating their forms, one-step sparring and self-defense techniques. Then they wrap up by breaking boards with their bare hands or feet.

After the belt testing, a ceremony was held, at which students could say a couple of words.  My son raised his hand and said:

"I'd like to thank my mom for helping me to do my best, and helping me with my homework, and getting me treats, even when I don't need them."

The instructor (Master Park) then asked if he had any words to say about his dad.

My son sounded like he was about to tear up as he said, "I'd like to thank my dad for giving me shelter, and playing with me when I'm lonely, and tucking me in at night."

We are so proud of our son for the commitment, focus (not to mention skill) that he has for his sport.  He can do anything he puts his mind to.

No comments: