Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Why I Want To Be My Son When I Grow Up

Weekends are amazing for my son.  Typically on a Friday, we get a phone call for him before he has come home from school. We usually have one sleepover per weekend, and back to back playdates.  I find it hard to manage his social calendar, but it helps that I don't have one.

I must confess that when I was on chemo, I could not keep up with my son, and I didn't want a houseful of screaming boys.  I still don't sometimes, but I manage.

Lately I've been thinking how happy I am for my son that he has so many friends. On the other hand, I have wrongly compared his life to what mine was like at his age, and wondering if I missed out on something because I wasn't as socially active as he.

As he approaches the First Level of Hell (aka middle school), I feel comforted in knowing that he is friends with a variety of kids who have a variety of personalities.

I want to be like that when I grow up.

No comments: