Sunday, April 5, 2009

Giving Cancer the Personal Touch

When I began writing this blog, I didn't intend for it to be a  "cancer" blog. However I was inspired by the late Leroy Sievers podcast and blog on NPR called "My Cancer".  

Since he passed away, "My Cancer" has evolved into "Our Cancer".

And I think that's a shame. In Sievers's blog, he spoke for everyone with cancer by sharing the personal story of his battle, and how it affected those around him.  A reader just can't get that personal touch by reading the "Our Cancer" posts. Sievers humanized the frustration, fatigue and the emotional ups and downs that come with cancer in a way a million voices cannot.

When I read the paper today, I was hit by the news that an extremely popular local radio personality has skin cancer that has metastasized to his brain and vital organs, and it turns out he's blogging about his nightmare on kink.fm

As I read the personal stories of others with cancer, I wonder why and how I am so lucky, just like I wonder why and how I got cancer in the first place.  I'm not out of the woods, but I have reason to hope. Reading these personal accounts also  helps me understand a little of what my family is going through. It's hard to be a raving lunatic, but it's hard to be around one, too.

Cancer is indeed a cruel and fickle beast.

No comments: