Sunday, April 19, 2009

Should I stay at home, or should I go?

It would be nice if I could just stop and write a post when I have an inspiration, but I can't.  The result is I forget what I want to write about--one of the hazards of getting older with a head injury.

However, I've been feeling emboldened since my last visit to the doctor, so much so, I've been thinking maybe the time is right to try to find a paying job, after leaving my career to be a stay-at-home mother.

It turns out there exists at least two problems with this idea:
  1. Last I checked, Oregon ranked #2 in unemployment.
  2. I'm missing  part of my brain.
I'm missing so much of my brain, that I even forget it's gone.

So l look up a temp agency and beginning updating my resume, and I ask my husband to critique it. The last time I did this he said something like, "This sucks. Do it over."

I told him to be a little gentler this time.

I produce him a rough draft.  Immediately he discovers a critical error: Nowhere on my resume do I mention my education--kind of important. It's at this point ask myself the question, "What the hell was I thinking?" Why am I looking for work, when I can't write a resume?

I say to my husband in frustration, "Maybe everyone's right, I am too stupid to work."

"No one is saying that," he replies. "But we are all wondering why (you want to go back)."

I just don't feel entirely comfortable being June Cleaver.  And by the way, I'm not good at that role either, but someone has to play it.


No comments: