Monday, April 13, 2009

Did I Marry My Dad?

I wondered this recently as my husband was having computer problems.  He contacted a store that will assemble one to the customer's specifications. He gets it home and it "hangs".

Today I bring the computer back, as my husband is too busy.  A few hours later, he gets a call from the shop, where a worker apparently says the machine works just fine, because no one can re-produce the problem.  My husband decides he needs to take control of the matter and goes to the shop himself.

At the shop, the problem is reproduced.  After 30 minutes, the geeks and my husband can safely agree that my husband is screwed.

He comes back cursing, certain that the folks at the store are on crack, and vowing not to do business with them in the future.

My husband and father are alike in a number of ways.
  • They both have computer (software) expertise.
  • They are both smart and witty,  but sometimes not on purpose.
  • They both love "hi-fi" stereo and music that sounds good on it. In fact "hi-fi" stereo is sort of how I met my husband, but that's a story for another post.
  • They each have a tendency to take over a situation, without even trying.

I wonder what Freud would say about this--that I married a man like my father, and that, by the way, I'm quite a bit like my husband's mother. If I could meet Freud, I would ask him to snap us out of it.

No comments: