Monday, January 3, 2011

Have bullies changed

My son is navigating the tough waters of Middle School and the stupid stuff that comes with it--crushes, mean teachers and bullying.


I am concerned that the powers at be don't seem to know the difference between a bully and a pain in the ass.


When I was in middle school I was bullied, because I was threatened, told (via a letter in my locker) I would be beaten up on my way home from school. In my case, I went to a counselor and named names. I assumed I was right in my guess, because I received no more threats.

My son says he's being bullied but won't talk to counselors or teachers at school about it. They don't seem to take him seriously. We have found someone he will talk to. Meantime he keeps lamenting how bullies seem to know when there isn't a safe person around, and how bullies bring their "friends" for backup. He thinks bullies are smarter than back in my day, but I don't think it was smart to write a note and stuff it in my locker. Whoever did that was just as cowardly as any bully today.

I'm glad bullying is getting some attention, because it didn't until some kids started committing suicide because of it.

School grounds should be safe for all. A child who goes to school in fear can't learn.

No comments: