Saturday, October 17, 2009

GV, I hardly knew you.

Grandma passed away this past Wednesday, and I have to say I feel grief and relief. Grief because I hardly knew her, or any of my grandparents for that matter. Relief, because she is no longer fighting a losing battle to stay alive.

I do wish I had known her better, and I wouldn't have known her at all if not for my sister, who found her using the Internet. During the time I had with her, we did enjoy singing together, playing word games and even talking politics. Grandma was pretty progressive. She was very pleased to see Obama win the presidency, for example. I don't know why, but I was surprised that she had any political opinions. I was raised to believe that grandma was ignorant, but she had more intelligence and creativity than she was given credit for.

I find it curious that all of her four children are estranged from her. Only they know what GV did to alienate herself from them. Being a grandma requires different qualifications than being a mother, I guess. It is likely none of them will be present at her funeral this week.

I will always believe that she lived so long (to age 95) hoping that she could mend fences with them. She never will, sadly.

No comments: