Monday, February 15, 2010

Getting old...It's not just for old people anymore.

This thought has struck me on a number of occasions, because more and more people that I know and love have some kind of chronic illness, or even life-threatening illness. And some of them are just in their 40s:

I know three women in their 40s with brain cancer.

I go to a writing group of about 8 women who have breast or ovarian cancer or both.

I have former classmates who have horrible illnesses such as MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis, brain cancer, and congestive heart failure, just to name a few.

And just this week, my aunt, who has always been spry and vivacious was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

I don't consider myself old, but I am hard pressed to find a friend or loved one who is in good health. My former classmates and my aunt are all freeze framed in my mind from when I was a child. When you are a child, you don't imagine getting older, or those around you getting older.

Time is the avenger.

No comments: