Monday, May 21, 2012

some secrets should stay secrets.

I have Turner Syndrome. If you don't know what it is, it's a genetic disorder due to a missing chromosome. For more info, try searching the Internet. Having this disorder makes me who I am, from my short stature, to being barren. Yet, I feel uncomfortable advertising it, because I don't want to be thought of as a syndrome, but as a person, but even when I look up TS on the Internet, I am shocked by what I see and read.

Example:  I found a piece on You Tube called "The Faces of Turner Syndrome". The video shows various women and girls saying things like, "I'm your teacher",  "I'm your nurse," etcetera. The beginning and end slogan is a young girl saying, "I'm like you, but I'm NOT like you." Exactly!  But should I let the public think I'm just like everyone else? In doing research for the book I'm writing I found out t,hat many girls with TS are miscarried, but yet I'm here. To hell with Survival of the fittest! Sometimes the weakest links survive.

But because I see so many doctors and I take so many medications, I have had to let the secret out. For example, a good doctor will want to know what medications a patient is taking, and the reason for taking it. Sometimes I am asked if I'm pregnant, or wishing to become pregnant, and I have to read chapter and verse on Turner Syndrome. There are a few doctors who don't know what the syndrome is, but that is a subject for another post.

I liked the Faces of Turner Syndrome video enough that I posted it on my Facebook page, because some of my FB friends are in the TS community. Nevertheless, in the future, I think I'll be quiet about it. Most people like to use FB for lighter banter.

No comments: